Fuel filters are situated in the fuel line and remove dirt and rust particles from petrol or diesel. They are found in most internal combustion engines.
Fuel filters serve a vital function in today’s modern, tight-tolerance engine fuel systems. Unfiltered fuel may contain several kinds of contaminants, such as paint chips and dirt that has been knocked into the tank while filling, or rust caused by moisture in a steel tank. If these substances are not removed before the fuel enters the fuel injectors, they will cause rapid wear and failure of the fuel pump and injectors. This is due to the abrasive action of the particles on the high-precision components used in modern injection systems. Fuel filters also improve performance, as the fewer contaminants present in the fuel, the more efficiently it can be burnt.
Diesel filters also remove the moisture from the diesel to prevent poor fuel burn, reduced power and protection against corrosion of metal components. Diesel fuel filters are available in spin-on water separator and multi-port types in addition to spin-on, cartridge, metal-free and wrap.
TYPES OF FUEL FILTERS:
- Spin-On fuel filters use single-layer, multi-layer, or felt media, and the metal cartridges are powder-coated, providing maximum corrosion protection for the filter.
- Metal cartridge fuel filters are used mostly for LCV and HCV applications. They are manufactured using single and multi-layer media.
- Metal-free cartridge filters are eco-friendly filters designed for the modern engine. These filters require that only the media needs replacing.
- Nylon-petrol filters use bonded plastic housings and are used in carburettor engines.
- Fuel injection filters have either seamed or welded aluminum housings featuring high-efficiency media.
- Wrap filter technology produces filters with significantly more media surface area, allowing for better filtration of impurities such as dirt particles and moisture from the fuel. This results in improved fuel economy and engine performance.
- Diesel spin-on water separator; filters provide additional protection for injectors and fuel pumps by removing any moisture from the diesel.
- GUD’s multiport diesel filters are designed to protect the high-pressure components in diesel engines and offers high-efficiency filtration capabilities.